Given my history and interests, I can speak on numerous topics. These include:
Privacy – Data Protection – Security – Cybersecurity Policy
From a global perspective to local interests and sectoral laws, such as HIPAA, I am experienced in multiple areas from strategy to acquisitions, frontline to the board, operations to opportunities. On the security / cybersecurity side, I have been a security officer and managed the policy side if not the technical controls. However, I have assisted companies with certification prep and pre-assessment for ISO27k series and related interests. My experience includes US law – HIPAA, COPPA, FERPA, GLBA, state laws – and non-US – PIPEDA, GDPR, PIPL, LGPD, and more.
Vendor Management and Oversight
A popular topic and one that is near to my heart. From due diligence to annual reassessments, I can speak to drivers, implementation, risk, and integration.
Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
With my background and activities, it is not surprising that this topic is one I take a keen interest in. I am part-Choctaw, a woman (in male-dominated fields of law and tech), and disabled. I have provided training on many levels, including on implicit bias. One training was to lawyers and based on the dating game… quite interesting.
Other topics include leadership, team relationships, health regulatory law, education, program development, program reinvigoration, emerging technologies, big data, non-profits, drones, biometrics, stress management, ethics in AI, and more.
- Multi Jurisdiction Compliance with Data Privacy Laws (and judge for student poster competition) Governance of Emerging Technologies & Science, 7th Annual Conference. May 2019.
- Success, Diversity, and a cocker spaniel named Lady. Keynote speaker, University Career Women, ASU, Spring Luncheon, April, 2008.
- Sail into the New HIPAA Safe Harbor. ePlace Inc., February 23, 2021.
- All Things California: Updates on the CCPA, Enforcement, and the CPRA, State Bar of AZ CLE. Presenter. September 2020.
- Information Blocking. ePlace Inc., September 24, 2020.
- New World of Privacy, FBI Phoenix Citizens Academy Alumni Association. May 2020.
- POL in IoT: Privacy, Ownership, and Liability. Keynote. NESST Launch workshop (Network- Embedded, Smart and Safe Things, an industry-university cooperative research center sponsored by the National Science Foundation) May 2019.
- Privacy Is Not a 4-letter Word: The Relationship Between US and Them–and Emerging Issues. Institute of Internal Auditors, All Star Conference. October 17-19, 2016.
- Privacy and Data Security Risk Management for Health Care Professionals. Invited speaker. Professional Liability Underwriting Society: 2014 Medical Professional Liability Symposium and 2014 Cyber Liability Symposium. April 24, 2014.
- Privacy Is Not a 4-letter Word: The Relationship Between US and Them–and Emerging Issues. IIA/ISACA Governance, Risk, and Control Conference. August 17–19 2015.
- Implementing a Global Whistleblowing Program. QuickHit Webinar, Health Law Committee, Association of Corporate Counsel. July 1, 2014.
- Preparing and Updating Your Business Associate Agreement. Webinar. ePlaceSolutions. May, 2011.
- HIPAA Compliance and Best Practices for Records Management. Webinar. Urgent Care Association of America. June 2010.
Organizer and Moderator / Speaker
- Vendor Management Workshop, Organizer and Panelist, International Privacy+Security Forum. Organizer and panelist. October 2020
- Vendor Management Workshop, Organizer and Panelist, Privacy+Security Forum. Organizer and panelist. May 2020.
- How to Leverage GDPR Compliance for CCPA, TrustArc Webinar. Organizer and moderator. August 2020.
- To BAA or not to BAA: Understanding and Navigating the Business Associate Agreement. Organizer and moderator / speaker. Association of Corporate Counsel, Annual Meeting. October 19, 2015.
- Managing Emerging Technology (pre-conference workshop). Organizer, moderator, and speaker. IAPP and the Cloud Security Alliance: Privacy, Security, and Risk Conference. September 29–Oct 2, 2015.
- How to Rock Your Global Privacy Program. IAPP and the Cloud Security Alliance: Privacy, Security, and Risk Conference. September 29–Oct 2, 2015.
- A View from the Hot Seat: Data Breaches and What to Do Now to Make it Easier When it Happens to You. Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting. October 18–21, 2015.
- Methods for Protecting Patient Data in the Big Data Revolution. Invited Speaker and MC. Life Science Data Privacy Conference. July 27, 2015.
- Latest in Healthcare Privacy and Security. Association of Corporate Counsel. Annual Meeting. October, 2014.
- Practical Tools for Law Firm Data Security, Privacy, and Cyber Liability, State Bar of AZ CLE. March 2021.
- The Expanding Universe of Biometric Data: Embrace, Curtail, or Regulate, Privacy+Security Forum. May 2020.
- What To Expect Next: Planning Goals, AI, and Big Data. ABA Smart Cities Conference. Feb 2019.
- GDPR – 1 year later. SCCE/HCCA Board and Audit Committee Compliance Conference. Feb 2019.
- Executive Women in Privacy. Privacy+Security Conference. Washington D.C. October 22, 2015.
- The Perils of Connectivity: Privacy and Security on the Internet of Things. State Bar of Arizona Annual Meeting. June 25, 2015.
- Data Privacy, Information Security Challenges and Cross-border Transfers of Data. Association of Corporate Counsel. 2015 Corporate Counsel University. May 17-19, 2015.
- The Future of Cross-Border Mechanism. International Association of Privacy Professionals. Global Privacy Summit. March 5, 2015.
- Healthcare Privacy: Diagnosis vs. Prognosis of Hot-button Topics in Healthcare. International Association of Privacy Professionals. Global Privacy Summit. Preconference workshop. March 4, 2015.
- Vendor Management Best Practices: The Role of Governance, Risk and Compliance in Vendor Management. Webinar. TRUSTe Privacy Insight Series. February 19, 2015.
- Binding Corporate Rules and Cross-Border Data Transfers. Association of Corporate Counsel. Annual Meeting. October, 2014.
- Privacy and Data Security Risk Management for Health Care Professionals. Prof. Liability Underwriting Society: Medical Prof. Liability Symposium and Cyber Liability Symposium. April 24, 2014.
- Smart Phones, Tablets & the Cloud: Prescription for Disaster? Professional Liability Underwriting Society: Medical Professional Liability Symposium. April 11, 2013.
- Impaneled and Ineffective: The Role of Law Schools and Constitutional Literacy Programs in Effective Jury Reform with Darra Hofman, Denver Univ. L. Rev. Vol. 90:4 (October 2013): 959 presented at the 20th Annual Rothgerber Conference, “Public Constitutional Literacy” November 29-30, 2012.
- To Notify or Not to Notify: that is THE Question. Professional Liability Underwriting Society: International Conference. November, 2010.
- Cyber Liability: Good Practices. Panelist. BCS Insurance Conference (Blue Cross). September, 2010.
- Data Breach: Red Flag Rule, HITECH Act, and Litigation Update. Professional Liability Underwriters Society: 2010 Professional Risk Symposium. March, 2010.
- Innovative Partnerships in law school pro bono. ABA Equal Justice Works, Law School Preconference, May 2008.